For the pastry:
- 25 g/1 oz. /2 tbsps. butter
- 25 g/1 oz. /2 tbsps. caster/superfine sugar
- 3 tbsps. dry white wine
- pinch salt
- 150 g/5 oz. /1 ¼ cups plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 medium/large egg, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the filling:
- 450 g/1 lb. /2 cups ricotta cheese
- 125 g/4 oz. /1/2 cup caster/superfine sugar
- 2 tbsps. orange water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 g/2 oz. / 1/3 cup chopped glace/candied cherries
- 2 tbsps. chopped angelica
- 125 g/4 oz. / 2/3 cup chopped mixed/candied peel
- 75 g/3 oz. dark/semisweet dark chocolate, finely chopped
- icing/confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Beat together the butter and the 25 g/1 oz. sugar until light and fluffy. Add the white wine and salt and mix together well. Fold in the flour and knead to form a soft dough. Reserve for 2 hours.
Lightly flour a work surface/countertop and roll the dough out to a thickness of about 5 mm/ ½ inch. Cut into 12.5 cm/5 inch squares, then wrap the pastry around the cannoli or cream horn moulds using the beaten egg to seal. Make 3-4 at a time.
Heat the vegetable oil to 180°C/350°F in a deep fryer and fry the cannoli for 1-2 minutes until puffed and golden. Drain well on paper towels and leave to cool.
Remove the moulds when the cannoli are cool enough to handle. Repeat until all the cannoli are cooked.
Beat the ricotta with the 125 g/4 oz. / ½ cup sugar, orange water and vanilla extract until creamy. Add the cherries, angelica, mixed/candied peel and chopped chocolate.
Fill each cannoli using a decorating bag with a large plain nozzle/tip or a small spoon. Dust with icing/confectioners’ sugar and serve cool but not cold.