This chocolate cake with milky filling is so moist and chocolaty! One of the simplest and very delicious chocolate cakes that I’ve ever tried – which make it my fav choice for a simple celebration cake! Here is the recipe:
For the cake layers:
- 250 grams/ 8.8 oz. (1 ¾ cups) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 65 grams/ 2.3 (2/3 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 400 grams/ 14 oz. (2 cups) sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 120 ml (½ cup) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 240 ml (1 cup) whole milk
- 240 ml (1 cup) prepared hot cocoa
For the milky filling:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 container (8-ounce( mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Dark Chocolate glaze
- A few strawberries/berries/nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter two 8-inch and dust with cocoa powder.
- In a bowl, add flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda and mix until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, milk, vanilla, and hot cocoa just until smooth. Apply egg mixture into flour mixture and combine until well incorporated. Make sure do not overbeat – mixture will be lumpy in the beginning, but mix lightly, stir with a whisk just till nice and smooth. The mixture will be thin.
- Divide the mixture into the prepared pans. Place in the oven and bake the cakes for around 20 minutes, or just until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Let it cool for around 10-15 minutes in the cake pan before unmolding. After that, allow cooling completely on a wire rack. In the meantime, prepare the filling.
To make the milky filling:
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the butter until smooth. Add in the mascarpone cheese and beat until well combined.
- Place the vanilla and sugar and mix until smooth. Put it in the fridge for around 30 minutes to set.
To assemble the cake:
- Set a layer on a dish with the flat side facing up. Spread around the filling over the cake layer. Apply the 2nd layer. Top with the dark chocolate ganache. Store in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to set, then slice and serve.
- Before serving, you can decorate with a few strawberries or other berries or nuts of your choice.