This chocolate olive oil cake with frosting is so simple and easy to prepare! Plus, it is very rich, moist, creamy and really delicious! It is ideal birthday dessert, as well as a beautiful holiday treat. So, this’ the season with this amazing cake and bring joy to your home with the wonderful smell and taste of this well moist chocolate cake with olive oil and chocolate buttercream frosting. You will need around 30 minutes to prepare it plus 35 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe:
For the chocolate olive oil cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (+ some more for pans)
- Butter (to grease the baking pans)
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 3/4 cups high-quality cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed cocoa powder
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- 6 ounces’ high-quality milk chocolate
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
To make the chocolate olive oil cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter two 8 by 2-in. round cake pans and line with parchment paper. Next, butter and flour the cake pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using an electric mixer on low-speed whisk until blended.
- In another bowl, mix the oil, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, beating with the mixer on low speed. Then, slowly add the brewed cocoa and stir to combine.
- Spread the batter into the prepared cake pans and place in the oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cooling in the pans for 30 minutes. Then, turn onto a cooling rack and using a cake knife slowly half each cake, in order to get 4 cake layers. Let cool completely. In the meantime, prepare the frosting.
To make the chocolate frosting:
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in a microwave (in 30 sec. interval) until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, whisk the butter until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Fold in the egg yolk and vanilla extract and continue whisking for 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the icing sugar. Then, whisk the mixture to medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Next, dissolve the cocoa powder in 1 ½ tablespoon of the hottest tap water. Reduce the mixer speed to low again, and gradually add the chocolate and cocoa to the butter mixture and mix until incorporated. Spread immediately on the cooled cake:
- Apply 1 layer, flat side up, on a cake pedestal or flat plate. With an offset spatula or knife, spread the top with frosting. Apply the 2nd layer and spread some frosting, then repeat with the remaining layers and frosting. To finish, spread frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.