This easy dark chocolate cake with warm choco sauce and gelato is totally my jam! I love creamy chocolate cakes so this is a real heaven for me! If you like the taste of cold-hot desserts then this is the thing! Here is the recipe:
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
- Chocolate sauce (find recipe below)
- Vanilla gelato/ice cream
For the chocolate sauce:
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- About 1 cup milk
- ½ cup light corn syrup
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C/ Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cocoa and flour; put and mix in the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Place oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla and whisk with electric mixer around 2 minutes.
- Next, pour in boiling water, then apply batter into the pans.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (don’t overbake); you will now that the cake is done when it’ll pull away from the side of the pan. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake will have moist crumbs attached to it when removed. Let it cool in pans for 15 minutes.
- Then, remove it and cool on a rack. When it’s completely cool, it’s best to put it in the fridge, covered, for around 2-3 hours before cutting.
- Before serving, sift some powdered sugar over top and drizzle with warm chocolate sauce. To finish, place a dollop of ice cream/gelato on the side.
To make the chocolate sauce:
- Heat corn syrup and chocolate chips in top of double boiler until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Remove and beat in enough milk to reach wanted consistency (typically when the bowl feels room temperature).
- Drizzle over the cake.