Sachertorte is a typical Austrian cake that is a base for many chocolate desserts. It is simple and easy to prepare and very delicious! Here is the recipe:
For the Sachertorte:
- 7 egg yolks
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) butter, softened
- 125 grams’ confectioners’ sugar
- 250 grams’ (1 cup) chopped dark chocolate
- 8 grams (1 packet) vanilla sugar
- 125 grams’ crystal sugar
- 7 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 150 grams’ flour
- Flour and butter for the mold
- 150 to 200 grams (3/4 cup) apricot jam
- Rum (optional)
- whipped cream (to garnish)
For the glaze:
- 200 grams (3/4 cup) chopped cooking chocolate or dark chocolate coating
- 150 to 170 ml water
- 250 grams (1 cup) sugar
- Using an electric mixer on low, mix the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla sugar, and butter until creamy. Slowly stir in the egg yolks. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a cake pan with butter and dust with flour.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in a microwave for 20 sec. intervals until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with crystal sugar and salt until stiff peak forms.
- Apply the melted chocolate into the egg yolks mixture and fold in the egg white mixture by turns with the flour. Spread the batter into the cake tin and bake for about 1 hour or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cake and allow to cool off (in order to get a flat surface turn the cake out onto a work surface straightaway after baking and turn it again after 20 min.).
- In the meantime, if the apricot jam is very solid, heat it shortly and stir until smooth, before you flavor it with a shot of rum (if desired).
- Next, cut the cake in 1/2 crosswise and cover the base with jam. Then, apply the other half on top; coat around the edges and the upper surface with apricot jam.
- To make the glaze, heat up the sugar with water for a few minutes, then pour into a bowl and allow to cool down until warm to the taste (in case the glaze is very hot it will get dull in appearance, and in the case is very cold it will get too viscous).
- Chop the chocolate into pieces and apply it to the sugar solution. Stir to dissolve.
- Spread the glaze immediately over the cake and use a knife or spatula to smooth it over the surface. Allow the cake to dry at room temperature.
- Slice, garnish with whipped cream (If desired) and serve.